Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Prism Quilt with FQS Blogger Bundle

So, I haven't blogged for a few weeks because, well, I've been sewing and I got distracted. A worthy excuse, right? Maybe? Anyway, one thing I've been working on is on the blog today.

A few months ago, Andie and I got to put together a "Blogger Bundle" of fat quarters for sale at Fat Quarter Shop. This was, essentially, a fabric lover's dream come true: we got to browse their online inventory and put together any assortment of fabrics (12 prints and 3 solids) for a 15 FQ bundle.


Due to my adolescent love of rainbows... (Seriously, this is a thing. Ask my Mom. I remember sobbing when I was 5 years old because the only thing I wanted in LIFE was to see a rainbow and I was convinced that I would never ever see a real one.) Anyway, due to my love of rainbows, I lovelovelovedoublelove putting things in ROYGBIV order. Soooo, we decided to put together a "Rainbows & Unicorns" bundle full of modern stash builder geometrics.


And then, I got to play with the fabric! I decided to remake the Kaleidoscope Quilt ("Risky Business") from our book, Modern Designs for Classic Quilts.


My remake is a bit different than the 2-fabric quilt that I made for the book, but the basic pattern is the same, and this bundle offered a lot of great playroom.



For the background fabric, I used a FABULOUS black and white text print from Ikea, a gift from the best Phoebe in the world.
nom
There's a lot going on in this quilt and, I'll be honest, as I was playing with the layout, I did NOT love it. But I kept going...

Playing with a random layout:

"meh."

 Playing with an organized layout (1 color per block):

"double meh"

And then it hit me. The reason I love this bundle is because of my ROGBIV-lovin' obsession with rainbows. Once I started arranging the blocks with a rainbow in mind, I started to like it a lot...

"RAINBOWS!!!!!!!!  GIMME!"

And here's the finished top, all together and ready for some quilting!


The circular optical illusion is less pronounced than in the kaleidoscope quilt I made for the book, but it's still there.


I'm calling it "Prism" because it reminds me of a refracted rainbow. (That was probably self explanatory...)


Now, quilting it! Any suggestions? I'm thinking a large circular motif to enhance the hidden circles, but I'd love suggestions!

The basic pattern for this quilt is found in my book, and you can get the blogger bundle at Fat Quarter Shop. So if you've got a nickel burning a hole in your pocket  . . . . . . . .


    

Hope you're all having an excellent week! Please leave me some quilting suggestions, and just let me know what you're up to in general.

Happy stitching!

Kelly

11 comments:

Mary said...

I had no idea that was the same quilt as the book- what a change fabrics make!

As for rainbows, my husband and I started a vacation from HECK this summer where we had to drive an hour back because our house alarm battery went out and made our alarm keep going off, then when we got back my husband's car died in the Radio Shack parking lot getting the new house alarm battery. Then we had to wait for a tow guy. It was torture and sadly we were JUST going to Arkansas. My husband ordered a rainbow as a good sign at lunch and the waitress looked at him like he was nuts. We passed the "Hope, Arkansas" mile marker sign and there was the hugest double rainbow (all the way across the sky...so intense...yada yada). As manly as my husband is, he was just as giggly as Double Rainbow guy. It was a great mood shifter!

Kelly Biscopink said...

Awww, I love that story! I don't exactly know where my obsession came from as a kid, but I still get giggly when I see them even now! :-)

Jean(ie) said...

I love that! And yes, that background fabric is perfect! I definitely think circles. It will play off the triangles really well!

<3 me some ROYGEEBIV!

Jessica said...

This is pure genius. And that Ikea fabric can do no wrong. I seriously am drooling about this one Kelly, can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Kelly Biscopink said...

Thank you so much Jean and Jessica!!! You guys made my day. :-)

Teresa Seitz said...

This is awesome. You should make this a pattern for sale using the photo on the porch. As the cover. It looks great!

Kelly Biscopink said...

Thanks Teresa! I may have to do that.... hmmmm

Karen said...

I love rainbows of colour too and your quilt looks great! I've got a load of fabric cut for a kaleidoscope quilt but the first block was a disaster so it's just sitting there, I must try again. :-)

Donana said...

I have been to ikea a million times and have never seen fabric there. Where do they keep it? I assume all ikeas are set up the same. Thanks.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Oh high five for rainbow lovin'!! What a gorgeous quilt!! In. Love.

Micheal Alexander said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it. Fat Quarter Bundles Australia