Sunday, December 30, 2012

Mom's Christmas Dresden Plate Quilt

I decided after I moved in the summer to make Christmas gifts for my immediate family for Christmas - - - an all handmade Christmas! My mom, dad and sis each got a quilt this year, and now I can finally post about them! 


I decided to make my Mom a modern Dresden plate quilt using method and inspiration found at  Geta's Quilting Studio. I saw her quilt on Pinterest, and just had to make my own. This is a pretty easy quilt to make, using strip pieced wedges. The best part is that you turn the circular Dresden plate into an octagon, and then sew on corner triangles to form a square. Then you can sew the blocks together as normal with a minimal amount of appliqué.


The fabrics are all pulled from my stash - and there's a lot of Tula Pink in there, y'all. The background is a white tone-on-tone that I've had lying around for ages and was just right for this.


The grey in the wedges is Kona Coal, and the centers and binding are a grey with white dot. I love me some dots....


I have to say, I'm uber happy with the quilting, too! I did it myself on Mom's long arm while I was home for Thanksgiving. I locked myself away for several hours and cranked this baby out, tackling swirls for the first time! And seriously, my back hurt for about three days after hunching over this bad boy for so many uninterrupted hours.


The backing is some of my favorite from Bonnie and Camille - from the Ruby line. Yum.


I love this guy, and I think Mom loves it too, so mission accomplished! I hope she loves wrapping up in it this winter.

More gift quilts to come so stay tuned!

I hope you all had a lovely holiday, and are looking forward to a happy New Year! Did you get anything handmade for the holidays this year?

Happy Stitching!

Kelly

7 comments:

Needled Mom said...

That is really gorgeous. The colors are so soft and pretty and the quilting looks fabulous.

Tamie said...

Love, love this. I might even try to tackle one.

Kelly said...

I love this one, Kelly! It's beautiful.

Andie Johnson said...

It turned out so so cute!

Kelly Biscopink said...

Thanks y'all! Definitely happy with the result. Mom had better be watching that I don't slip it back in my suitcase...

Elizabeth said...

It's fabulous! I love the oversized look of the Dresdens.

Christine L said...

Beautiful Quilt! I am thinking of making one of these for me :) Thanks for sharing!!! Very inspirting